The annual Vision Expo was held at the Overland Park Convention Center in Overland Park, Kansas, a suburb southwest of Kansas City, March 5-8 2015. After a hard winter and lots of snow, it was nice to see sunny skies and temperatures in the 60s. This premier automotive event for shop owners, service technicians, and automotive instructors is presented by the Automotive Service Association (ASA) Midwest.
- The event includes training sessions all day Saturday and until about noon on Sunday.
- Due to the requests for even more training, there are now two full days of training on both Thursday and Friday prior to the main event which starts on Friday evening with a trade show.
- The trade show also is open almost all day Saturday and during an extended lunch time to allow time for the attendees to visit the booths setup in over 60,000 square feet of display space at the convention center.
- About 1,600 attended from 40 of the 50 states and four Canadian provinces this year’s event with almost 400 attending for the first time.This number of attendees included about 150 automotive instructors with specific topics for them all day on Friday.
The host hotel filled up fast (Sheraton Overland Park) as did many others nearby.
Attending the Vision Expo means a full day of activities including:
- Getting up early for the breakfast buffet at 6:30 until 7:00 both on Saturday and Sunday morning
- Awards and recognitions starts at 7 AM with a keynote speaker who is usually outstanding.
- Technical and management sessions start at 8:45 AM and run until 11:45 AM.
- Lunch was located next to the trade show area.
- Afternoon sessions ran from 2 PM until 4:30 PM with additional (optional) evening events and a banquet on Saturday.
- Sunday morning sessions end at 11:45 AM and everyone heads home looking forward to attending this event next year.
As with any expo or conference, if the food is good, then the entire conference is considered to be good and the Vision Expo always provides excellent food. A huge trade show and an excellent convention center make this one of the best, if not the best automotive training event in the country. For a description of all of the training sessions that were offered this year, visit their website at: http://www.visionkc.com/
Editor’s Note – This is article is from one of our contributors James Halderman.