With much of the Northeast and Midwest covered in snow currently I'm sure a lot of people are pulling out their sleds from storage. So instead of a post about cars here are some tips to “How to Sled Like a Pro” to ensure you have the best sledding experience during this cold Winter days.
- Grease that Sled: Before you had out and find a good hill to go sledding on you might want to grease up the bottom of your sled with Pam or Crisco. This will make it slicker, creating less friction, in turn you will go faster. It's a bit gross bit awesome once you realize the power that cooking oils have on the bottom of a sled. Just make sure to not eat the snow.
- Find a Good Hill: A step hill is not always good if it goes right into the street with no way room for the sled to slow down. Make sure you find a good hill that is steep, safe, but most importantly fun.
- Bundle Up: Make sure to bundle-up with snow pants, warm gloves, and warm socks if you plant be sledding outside for awhile. It gets cold rolling around in the snow.
Anyway hope people are having fun during this Arctic Blast. If you have other sledding tips please leave a comment below.
Originally published on CarNewsCafe
Unless you are living in a place with no internet connection you likely have been hearing about Grand Theft Auto 5… a lot, since the video game was released by Rockstar Entertainment yesterday. The widely popular and highly anticipated video game is being written on this site for one good reason, lots of hype in the auto world and in general. After all it is called “Grand Theft Auto” and is probably going to break video game sales records and is the most expensive video game of all time.
It seems every single PR and marketing firm is sending every single auto writer in existence infographics, photos, press information, toys, and guns (ahhh you can't do that, just joking around) to celebrate the release of Grand Theft Auto 5. All these marketing agencies are praying that we will write about whatever they are sending us so they target the coveted 18-30 year old male demographic buying and obviously searching for this game. Automakers are desperate to capture this demographic before… they… stop buying cars altogether!
Sure, we want this demographic as much as they do, but come on people. I've seen no new news about Grand Theft Auto 5 for the last 24 hours. If you are going to be sending us stuff at least take a different angle. Also an FYI to all other auto writers reading this, you are doing the same S%$@ writing about Grand Theft Auto 5 as everyone else and don't kid yourself to think it's original, at all. Sorry to hurt your feelings but that is the truth. Sadly this crew of cracked automotive journalists will be doing the same thing.
Also to all you game nerds across the nation that are likely calling in “sick” to work or school classes today and playing Grand Theft Auto 5, like nobody knows what you are doing? Come on, news travels fast and even old people know when a big video game is released. (Damn it, why did parents make Facebook uncool?) Likely productivity around the world will go down due to Grand Theft Auto 5 being released for at least the next few months. Rockstar, you have us addicted.
Have you bought Grand Theft Auto 5 and played it? What do you think? Are you going to buy it and call off work? Gotta say it looks pretty damn good and pretty fun. Ah, I think I am getting a little bit of a sour throat! 🙂
Fiat has put together a behind-the-scenes look quite an interesting ad idea using a bunch of naked girls to pose in the shape of a Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio and paint them with body paint. While using scantily clad or naked women in car commercials or other commercials is nothing new and something Fiat has done before with the model Catrinel Menghia, this new Fiat 500 Abarth commercial I think is original and cool. Checkout the behind-the-scenes video below and let me know what you think of the body painted Fiat 500 Abarth.
A behind-the-scenes look at pulling together one of the most complex, ambitious and beautiful body paint photos you've ever seen.
Apparently Fiat hired circus performers for this ad. Makes sense as hiring regular models, while they might be nice to look at naked, probably wouldn't be able to hold or contort themselves into the right poses. Fortunately these naked girls from Cirque du Soliel (I think) are able to pull the job off all while trying to sell a car.
Even though I really like this Fiat 500 Abarth campaign and applaud Fiat for their originality, I still think the most original idea I have ever seen would be Ford's Parisian Pinball. Surprising since you would assume nude girls contorting themselves would win.
The real question for Fiat is if if this slick campaign will help sell Fiat 500 in the US. The reception for the Fiat 500 has been lukewarm since the brand's reintroduction to the states even with a smart and well planned marketing strategy. Would you buy a Fiat 500 after watching this commercial? Yeah, I know what you are thinking. “I would if those naked chicks came with it!” 🙂
[Image Source – Video]
Driving can be far more than something you do because you need to. Aside from having to drive for basic transportation learning to really drive a car can be an exhilarating experience. Even the most placid drivers have a hard time not smiling on a wide open road with some sweeping curves on a clear day. Inevitably in those situations or equally on busy days on highways at 70mph your mind goes to the movies – for example, Fast and Furious movies, Ronin, The Italian Job, C’était un Rendez-Vous and similar car genre films. It’s easy to start fantasizing about driving around like a racecar driver but how would you go about learning how to safely execute such maneuvers?
Learning Performance Driving
In terms of getting started, the way you should not learn it is by trying it yourself on impulse with a car full of friends. (Youtube can show you plenty of bad drivers doing this btw.) This would be like not knowing how to swim and jumping from a boat while 2 miles from shore- far more likely to end badly than not.
Many different people are taught performance driving for a variety of reasons. The most common being police officers, whose driving skills are severely underrated by most until they see an actual police chase on TV, Youtube, or on the streets. Ambulance drivers also learn to truly control cars so they can get to an injured person quickly and safely. Something you need to keep in mind is that performance driving is not all about speed, but gaining the ability to avoid accidents.
Schools and Available Performance Driving Programs
There are a lot of different driving schools where you can go to learn and practice car control and learn some fun driving skills in the process. Some insurance companies may even offer discounts as advanced driver training reduces the likelihood your will be in an accident.
- Emergency Driving Programs are generally run by AAA or other driver organizations. Typically learning skid control is involved in these couses (the fun part is you need to do skidding/drifting to learn how to control it, it’s not something you can learn in the classroom) in closed open lots and pylons instead of having trees and cars to avoid. Many of these courses are affordable since they cater to the general public and the knowledge of car control and how to gauge a vehicle’s momentum, level of grip, getting used to the G-forces that are exerted are all things that are usually taught and gone over.
- Police Driving Programs usually involve becoming acquainted with pursuit methods, stopping a pursued vehicle, advanced braking and acceleration control, and accident avoidance. Look for a class that is modeled after the NAPD program for actual police officers in order to gain maximum benefit. These type of course is probably most ideal if you want to be stunt driver! 🙂
- High Performance Driving Schools are normally geared toward racing enthusiasts and will typically take place at racetracks. Instructors are usually retired racecar drivers and get to use high performance and sports cars. These range from 1 day affairs to week long camps. There are several nationally known Race Schools around the country that should fit the needs or budget of anyone looking to learn to “race.” Just do some Googling to find the closest one in your area.
- NASCAR Driving – Much like the race schools but specific to NASCAR style racing. These programs and schools usually include actual NASCAR drivers as instructors or for at least a visit. There is one in Orlando that’s impressive, currently sponsored by NASCAR legend Richard Petty. Admittedly these are rather expensive schools to take part in.
While looking at performance driving schools consider a defensive driver course as well for a break on insurance and reality check of your driving skills. In addition to Performance driver education programs and schools there are a lot of very good programs for teen drivers, inexperienced drivers and driving theory such as those at sites like Book Your Theory Online. Remember to keep your performance driving skills (well if you have any, which you probably don't) on a track, under safe and supervised conditions and not on the street where you could hurt yourself or worse someone else.